Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Change-up




I've changed the name of my blog already. At first I thought it would be intersting to reclaim a goofy nickname pinned on me in middle school. Then I realized that if I ever met up with other bloggers I might start hearing "Hey, Bubblehead", which was something I never expected to get stuck on me as an adult. I also found out that a bubblehead is the name for a sailor in a submarine. There are a lot of sailors in and around Baltimore. I'm not a sailor.

So why "in the rumble seat" When I was a kid, we drove a sandy brown Impala station wagon with vinyl seats from Milwaukee deep into the Great Plains to see the national parks. There were several of these trips all through elementary school. Because we were a 6 person family, my sister and I were always sent to the back of the car to sit on the seat our family called the "rumbleseat". It was another mark of being the little ones, like eating off the kids menu and not getting into roller coasters. But what I didn't know was this seat was a gift. Back there we had an unadulterated view of the Western landscape, including all the things from cowboy songs. Of course, we saw everything backwards, but that meant we got the longest look goodbye. Everything raced by for the people in the middle. I read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory in one sitting in the rumble seat. And my sister and I could also make puppet shows for the cars behind us.

I think a rumble seat is the name for the bench on the back of a jeep, so it's the bumpiest.

6 Comments:

At 2:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Having an interesting blog name does sometimes come back to haunt you. I go by Fool so when I first met other bloggers they were like, "Hey Fool!"

 
At 3:33 PM, Blogger Malnurtured Snay said...

... and then she got offended and said "Who you calling a fool?" and punched me in the face. And then she was all like, "Eeep! Oh, yeah, sorry, forgot..." and I was all like "ohmybod ub brot my noz."

 
At 5:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pffffttt! Don't listen to Snay. I didn't punch him in the face!

I kicked in the head.

 
At 3:32 PM, Blogger Malnurtured Snay said...

Drop kicked me in the head, she means. Took forever to screw it back on.

 
At 5:33 PM, Blogger Eric said...

*sniff* You guys are making me miss Hampden. Nobody ever fights in front of my place anymore.

 
At 7:51 PM, Blogger Malnurtured Snay said...

I live in Timonium ... no one fights in front of my place EVER.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home