Saturday, November 19, 2005

Oh the fire went wild

Well, after my post yesterday, I should definitely give the Rotunda a break. Just when I thought I was going to have to pack food and do laps around the Arundel Mills Mall looking for a parking space, I realized the new Johnny Cash movie was playing there, just around the corner. I sat back in one of those velour la-z-boys and enjoyed a fantastic couple hours of movie. Who knows how accurate it was, but as one of many fans who only grew up with the elder statesman Mr. Cash, it was so good to even get a fuzzy glimmer of the roots of his career that are only a legend to me. I haven't seen a musical biography this good since "What's Love Got To Do With It". For the same reasons that I thought the Aviator was a satisfying, disarming and confident movie, this one did what biographies always should do - just stick to portraying the reality of the characters and their story, instead of a half-baked psychological dissection. I was really surprised to see Joaquin Phoenix's resemblance, and how loose-limbed and rough edged he was. His Johnny Cash was simultaneously towering and broken. And as someone who grew up north of the Appalachians, I'm glad I now know what the big deal about June Carter was. I won't say too much more, because this movie's going to get enough good noise I'm sure, but I will say I think anbody who appreciates Johnny Cash, or music for that matter, won't be disappointed if they go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home